Monday 26 March 2012

FearNaught - El Alamein

In my 'How to Waste a Day' post last week I wrote about my problems in choosing a force for the upcoming 1500pt 'Fear Naught - El Alamein' campaign weekend in June. I've now narrowed my choice down to two forces, both from the 15th Panzer Division. As the organiser likes to keep Artillery and Air Support controlled by a central command you can't have any in your lists so I've had to comply with that limitation.
The first is a 1490 pt Panzerspähkompanie (15.) Armoured Car Company comprising:

Company HQ
1 x Sd Kfz 223 (radio)

Light Panzerspäh Platoon (15.)
1 x Sd Kfz 223 (radio)
4 x Sd Kfz 222 (2cm)

Light Panzerspäh Platoon (15.)
1 x Sd Kfz 223 (radio)
4 x Sd Kfz 222 (2cm)

Heavy Panzerspäh Platoon
6 x Sd Kfz 231 (8-rad)

Anti-tank Gun Platoon
1 x Cmd SMG team
3 x 7.5cm PaK40 gun

Light Anti-aircraft Gun Platoon
3 x Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm)

Panzer Platoon
5 x Panzer III G or H or J (early)

I've gone for this option because I like the idea of an armoured car force as it's something different from the norm. However I do have a plan (of sorts) on how I would use it.
The tactics are a variant on a medium tank swarm approach from WWPD. The aim would be to use the Light Panzerspäh platoons to either advance quickly to grab objectives or to try and flank enemy forces splitting their attention. Maybe even getting into the enemy's support units. These would be backed up by the Heavy Panzerspäh platoon to provide fire support and to exploit openings. The Pz III's would sit back with the PaK 40's to snipe long range targets flushed out by the armoured cars. Hopefully the armoured cars will be able to remove 'Gone to Ground' from some of the targets to aid the long range shooting. The Pz III's would also be able to move up to deliver a coup de gras when needed. The Pak 40's can also provide static defence near any objectives that happen to be in my deployment area.  The AA I have is in addition to that mounted on the vehicles so that should be more than enough. Plus they can also provide some anti infantry fire if no planes appear as well so that's a bonus. The only thing I don't like about the list is the lack of a 2iC now they have become much more useful, but you can't have everything.

The second list is a more standard 1475 pt Panzerkompanie (15.) Armoured Company comprising:

Company HQ
2 x Panzer III G or H or J (early)

Panzer Platoon
5 x Panzer III G or H or J (early)

Panzer Platoon
5 x Panzer III G or H or J (early)

Light Panzer Platoon
5 x Panzer II F

Rocket Launcher Battery
Cmd SMG team
Observer Rifle team
Kubelwagen
2 x 15cm NW41

Light Anti-aircraft Gun Platoon
2 x Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm)

This is a more straightforward list with all the punch coming from the Pz III's. The Pz II's are classed as a Recon platoon so I would send them forward first to flush out ambushes and remove 'Gone to Ground' where possible. The anti-air support with this list isn't great but they can also provide some anti infantry fire if no planes appear. I'm not sure if the Nebelwerfers are classed as artillery by the organiser so I may have to drop them and go with something else, probably Pak 38's. This list is ok if a little uninspiring. It does have the benefit that the models can be reused in lots of different forces, albeit with the wrong camo.

Sadly the deciding factor in my choice will probably be cost. The armoured car force will cost twice as much as the Pz III force as I can get most of what I need for it from The Plastic Soldier Company. Of course wargamers are not noted for being rational. Who knows I may even end up buying both, plus that Italian Squadrone Esplorante Reconnaissance Squadron looked nice......

6 comments:

  1. Well I think the Panzer List will work better with my Infantry List, the Recon would work better with an Armoured lsit (if you still want to pair up). But if your going to run the Panzer List I would look at Panzer III J (late)'s as they were very common at El Alamein and you/we will need the extra AT for cracking Shermans as they will be there in big numbers.

    If you really fancy the Recon I can do an Armoured list, I'm going to be getting 10 Panzer III's for my Birthday anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will go for the Panzer list as it makes more sense financially. Nice birthday present btw :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I did leave a few hints for the Otherhalf, E-mailing her with a list of stuff I wanted and links to web site so she will buy the right thing, was probably the biggest one!

    I don't know if you were thinking about adding decals to the tanks? If you were theme wise your Panzers being from the 15th Panzer Division would work nicely with me doing the 164 Leichte Afrikadivision; as they fought in the same sector during El Alamein.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe forward planning always pays off :-)

      Yes, I am going to get some decals. Any suggestions as to the best place to get them from?

      Delete
  4. Thats something I'm having trouble with! I guess the best bet is the Battlefront ones http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2891 but they aren't the cheapst (but are the most complete).

    I'm still looking for other options but I think I'll end up with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look good. I'll get some added to my order when I send it off.

      Delete

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...